Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day of Rest - St. Louis Blues




Back in the days before the internet became a vast treasure trove (and sometimes a junkyard) of various media,  my parents had a CD encyclopedia (hey that rhymes!).  I was listening to a lot of Janis Joplin at the time, and one of the biographies I was reading mentioned that Bessie Smith was a huge influence on her.  So I looked her up.  There was an entry, with a sound file.  I clicked it.  It was just a 20 second sample, but when I heard it, I was done for. I'd never heard anything like it. It was heartbreaking and beautiful.  I've been a fan ever since. 

That one little clip, inspired a fascination with blues, jazz, ballads sung and recorded many years before I was born.  A fascination, and a love which still lasts today.

Thanks Bessie




No comments:

Post a Comment